Monday, July 25, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Sad News That The Movies Are Done

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I am so sad the movies are done, I'm even more sad the novels are done although they've been done for awhile... I love Harry Potter so much. They are by far my favorite books of all time. I know, I'm a nerd but I don't care because if you don't read them you are the one missing out on the goodness, not me.

So, the last installment of the last move, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, came out and of course I got tickets to the midnight show. My friend, Laura Hales, loves Harry as much as I do so there really wasn't a better person to see the movie with, to carry on the tradition...like how we saw the last one together....
We got tickets to the 3D movie at 12:10 AM and our glasses weren't just dumb glasses, the were shaped like Harry's glasses!!!!! I was like, "WHAT?!!!" Very cool, or stupid depending on who you are.

I met Laura at her house around 8:30 to begin the festivities. I brought pumpkin pasties, those pumpkin desserts I was so excited about, well they weren't good. I ended up just eating the pumpkin filling for the next week. The desert wasn't near as good as pumpkin pie, and it just proves why the early American settlers left England, and aren't we glad!? Anywhooo, I brought wand making materials and butterbeer ingredients as well as my Gryfindor scarf.

Laura gave me a Harry Potter themed shirt and a couple collectible Harry Potter bookmarks! So that was exciting for me. We made Harry Potter cookies, and we tried to mold his face with cookie dough, it looked ok in the the pre-baked version, not so good in the baked version. His face morphed into some monkey face mixed with a human resemblance. The cookies sure tasted delicious though! The butterbeer on the other hand was the nastiest thing ever. It calls for creme soda, butter, and butterscotch syrup. You heat the butter and butterscotch and add it to the creme soda, and once you do that the smell is over powering and I couldn't handle more than a few sips. We drank it out of Laura graduation mug from her year teaching at Weber High School to get the feel of a real beer mug.

The wand making was so fun, we were really short on time by then and had to rush but i could have made a lot more just for the fun of it. I wish I had made them from the first movie, but that's ok. I went with the way I envisioned a real wand to be, made of wood and brownish. Laura went with brighter colors and more of a "magic" feel. I think they both turned out pretty good, if I must say so myself. oh we also dipped gummy worms in white chocolate because the store didn't have any gummy frogs. They were good but a little too chocolaty.. we should have tested some of these recipes beforehand. We had so much fun though, I was so excited all night and couldn't wait for the actual movie to start.

The movie was at the Junction and we drove separately there so I could just go straight home afterwards. As I was walking into the theatre I was alone and had my scarf and wand in hand, so someone yelled out their window at me and called me, Hermione. I took it as a compliment even though they were making fun of me. There were so many costumes and wands at the movie. The excitement was in the air for everyone! The movie in 3D was awesome, they really made it for a 3D experience. Of course there were parts that did not go exactly along with the books, but that's how movies go. I felt overall it was done well. It was rushed  and some extremely intense parts in the book were dumbed down for the movie, also they had to explain things from the book that a real fan doesn't need explained. Also, at the most intense part of the whole series (the most emotional part that I was looking forward to and made me cry so hard in the book) some idiot decided he wanted to chomp on popcorn. That idiot was right next to me and I was about to knock the bucket out of his hands. All I could hear was "chomp" and his fat fingers shuffling around in the popcorn bucket. He wasn't hungry before, he wasn't hungry right after the scene,so WHY, WHY did have have to ruin that moment for me? To me, the opening midnight show is for fans, true fans that live and love Harry Potter, and not for people who get hungry in the middle of a quiet, intense moment. The movies/books are not just books or a cool story, it's a movement. It's a religion. SO THANKS A LOT FOR RUINING MY MOMENT, POPCORN CHOMPER! But other than, that I really enjoyed it!


Our wands, LUMOS! Mine is on the right, Laura's is on the left.

We joined the fight with our best friend, Hermione Granger.

Chocolate covered "frogs."

Harry's pre-cooked face.

Bottoms up!

Laura pouring her butterbeer! Notice her awesome Harry Potter themed t-shirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment